Monday, August 21, 2006

Sledding Eskies

Have you ever seen eskies pulling sleds? Wonder what it looks like? Well, here are some of my favorite photos taken by my eskie friend, Roben Feldhaus, who lives up in Minnesota. She was kind enough to let me post her pics on my blog. Roben is a breeder and is the owner of the eskies in the following pictures.




Roben Feldhaus, Whytepine American Eskimos says:

The American Eskimo is a versatile breed. Recreational dog sledding is both fun and a great way to get the dogs in shape. Because they have a small, compact body, custom making the harness for each dog is a must. The gang line connecting the dogs to the sled is also custom made to fit the smaller dogs with a lighter line and smaller clips.



The sled is homemade from my own pattern and old downhill snow skiis are used as runners. They are wider and provide a 'snowshoe' effect when moving through deeper snow. The sled is also very light weight, only 22 lbs. Because most of the dogs have been taught to 'stand & stay' so a snow hook is not used to anchor the sled while hooking them up. This year, a foot break will be added to the sled.


After spending the hot summer months laying around the house in air conditioned comfort, longer walks are needed to toughen up the pads of their feet. Then we move to hooking them on the front of a mountain bike and pick up the speed with just a little resistance.




Once the snow has a good base on some of the logging roads and snowmobile/ATV trails, then we build up the weight and distance. We will run for about 2 miles, some of it fast, some of it at a walk. Then we stop, unhook the dogs from the gang line and let them play and roll in the snow. This is only done with the dogs that consistantly 'come when called'. Others that are not so reliable are put on retractable-leashes.




Roben Feldhaus, Whytepine American Eskimos; (l to r) Wookie, Angel, Ranger, Rewind
When playtime is over, they hear the command "Hook Up!" and one at a time, come back to the line to get connected. With the command of "Hike!" they're off again.



When the 2 mile run back to the truck is done, the dogs get to play in the snow again while the sled is put in the back of the truck and the gang line is coiled up for the next time. These are probably the only sled dogs that ride IN the truck, not in a box on the back! As one musher told me on the trail, "They might not be the fastest team, but they sure are the best dressed and cutest team!"




Hmmmm.... this got my walnut-sized brain thinking. I wonder if the tail (get it, tale?) of Santa Claus and his reindeer is only half true. My secret discovery is that Roben might be the real Santa Claus, and her eskies are the so-called reindeer. Hee hee! Makes sense, doesn't it -- doggies can deliver much happiness to people.

13 Comments:

Blogger Ender said...

Wow! That is awesome! Plus they get to play in the snow! I will miss the snow, so when I am missing it, I will come back to these pictures and wish I was pulling too!

hahahaha..."vet" was in the middle of the word verification!

August 22, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Ender said...

I came back to read the post again, but this time I thought I read SHEDDING ESKIES!!

August 23, 2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Hana said...

That's a good one Ender! Shedding Eskies!!

And about that word verification-- I only have a small vocabulary, but doesn't it seem the so called "word verification" really is just a garbled set of random letters and not actually a WORD? Like, for instance, the word verification for this message I am writing is "fqriuat". Now, that doesn't seem like a word to me.

August 23, 2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Ivy said...

hey hey hana! such happy looking sledding shedding eskies! i love love love the snow but i dont know if i wud want to pull my peepol around on a sled. i wud much rather be jumping and running wherever i wanted to.

by the way i reeely hate that word verifikashun thing. it is hard enuf to read peepol words wen they are reel words, but those jumpled-up letters are a reel pain!

August 23, 2006 2:21 PM  
Blogger Casper said...

They look like they are having such fun in the snow. Have you seen snow Hana? It's great! You should ask your Momma to take you to Tahoe this winter. :D

August 24, 2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger JustMeCopper said...

Hana, my Mommy says that those are the cutest fluffy white dogs she has ever seen. They look like thay are having so much fun too. Hey, have you dogs noticed there is almost always a 'q' or a 'v' in the word verification? And as I suspected, this one has a v!

August 25, 2006 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha, that is the funniest dog team I've ever seen ... I'm used to the husky mixes they run up here in Alaska ... bet they have fun though! I better not let Mom see these pictures, she might get it in her head to make ME work!

I didn't realize you had a Hawaiian name, now I know how to pronounce your name properly. It's Hahna, not Han-na... yah?

August 25, 2006 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you that Santa Claus and his reindeer are real. I have photos of them. They live just down the street from me at Santa Claus House here in North Pole. I thought of volunteering to help Santa deliver toys but just the thought of all that work made me tired. I'll pass on Roben's name though - maybe her guys can help him if need be.

August 25, 2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Snow? I have never seen snow, but the Humans have told me scary stories about it. They used to live up north and had long snowy winters. They say it was awful- that it gets so cold your snot freezes, the snow is so cold and deep you could fall down and never be found till the spring thaw, and the very worstest thing....you can't take walks or play outside for months at a time. They make it sound so scary that I am never stepping foot out of Florida.
Big Wags,
Isabella

August 25, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Hana said...

Ivy, I don't like the word verification either. But mommy said we should have it else we will get spammed! People used to spam my breeder's web site's guestbook. So, then we had to do the word verification for the guestbook. Now there is hardly any spam at all! Hm. But, isn't spam a food item? Maybe I want spam!

Casper, I have been to the snow a few times with my relatives, Happy and Mika. It is fun at first, but then bad things happen. Maybe in my next blog I will tell about what happened the last time I went up in the snow. It has a happy ending though!

Copper, it seems like the word verification with the qz and vz is like Wheel of Fortune. Wheel of Fortune always uses letters like R S T L N. Can't they use other letters?

Zach, yes, my name is prounounced like Hah-na. You are a smart cookie! Have you been to Maui before? I would love to see a genuine picture of Santa and his reindeer!

Isabella, I agree snow can be dangerous. My parents and me had to drive through a blizzard one time! It was sooo scarey! We almost didn't make it. I have never heard of snot freezing. That really sounds bad. I wonder if poop freezes. They'd then be Poopsicles!

August 25, 2006 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that's funny... Big Sis calls me her Pupsicle!

I looove that there are so many eskies on your page, Hana... this makes me soooo excited for the snow and for my very first CHRISTMAS!! I hope that this year the East Coast has a white one!

-Ronak le Pup

August 26, 2006 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible to get in touch with your friend Roben? I would love to talk with her about sledding with Eskies. My daughter is wanting to hook up our eskies but could use some guidance.
Thank you....

How do I go about getting you my email address without posting it on your blog?

March 08, 2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Hana said...

Hi Andrea,
I hope you come back to read this.... send me an email at jkblosch@yahoo.com This is my "fake" email address for things like catalogs. Yeah, if I were you, I wouldn't post your real email address here. I can hook you up with Roben.
~Hana the Dog

March 08, 2007 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home